Automated traffic monitoring system
Automated traffic monitoring system
Federal Law on Traffic Management No. 443-FZ dated December 29, 2017  prescribes the need for regular traffic monitoring. To implement these measures on a national scale, it is necessary to create an automated monitoring system. This task was taken up by the TrafficData company.
Formulation of the problem
Let us describe the goals of traffic monitoring in accordance with the Order of the Ministry of Transport of the Russian Federation No. 114 :
- assess the current quality of traffic management;
- determine priority measures to improve the quality of traffic management;
- evaluate the effectiveness of measures taken to improve the quality of traffic management.
To achieve these goals, it is necessary for the automated traffic monitoring system (ASMDD) to solve the following tasks:
- determine traffic parameters;
- accumulate data on motion parameters;
- generate reports on changes in motion parameters in a visual form.
To solve these tasks, ASMDD must have the following functionality:
- video filming of the road network around the clock;
- process video materials in streaming mode at a speed higher than the video received;
- read vehicle registration numbers;
- determine motion parameters;
- form a base of traffic parameters for all sections of the road for the entire observation period;
- provide work with the database (averaging, filtering, output of reports).
TrafficData specialists have developed an ASMDD project for a 1.5 thousand km highway, which is divided into 300 sections. The entrance and exit of each section is equipped with cameras. The system monitors traffic 24/7 fully automatically, providing all the requirements of the documents , .
Flow rate. Traffic intensity is determined by direction. Directions are set by the alignments indicated by the user in the video. There are three types of doors available: entrance, exit and through.
Stream composition. The qualitative analysis of traffic flow, supported in TrafficData, takes into account the requirements of both the order of the Ministry of Transport of the Russian Federation  and the standards for country  and city roads . Thus, TrafficData recognizes 23 types of vehicles and pedestrians.
Travel speed. The video image determines:
- instantaneous speed at each point of the trajectory;
- average speed in the section between sections;
- speed with 85%, 95% security.
Density of movement. The traffic density for a road section is determined by the formula:
cars reduced to passenger cars, per kilometer,
— average time interval between driven vehicles; — average speed of vehicles on the road.
Queue length. TrafficData allows you to determine the length of the queue and the time spent by the car in the queue in the considered direction, as well as the parking time using the video image. The criterion for getting into the queue is the distance between the cars in the light no more than the length of the car (Fig. 2).
Delay in movement. To determine the delay time at an intersection, the time that a traffic participant loses when crossing the intersection is taken into account. For this, zones are set in TrafficData Land, when cars or pedestrians hit which it is considered that a traffic participant has arrived at the intersection. For example, as soon as the car drives into this zone, the time counter turns on and turns off when the exit (red) alignment is crossed. Thus, the time spent on crossing the intersection in each direction is recorded (Fig. 3). When detecting the delay in difficult traffic, for example, on a stretch or roundabout, the counter turns on when the vehicle enters the queue.
Calculated motion parameters. Further, based on the collected data, the calculated motion parameters are determined:
- service level;
- congestion indicator;
- time index;
- buffer index.
Data bank formation. Data on traffic parameters can be determined by the downloaded video fragments or by the video stream in real time when connected to IP surveillance cameras via the RTSP link (which is implemented in the TrafficData Live software). On the basis of the information collected, a database for the traffic section is formed. For ease of use, the reporting documents have the ability to output data on traffic parameters in Excel format in the form regulated by the order of the Ministry of Transport of the Russian Federation .
Prospects of the considered approach from the point of view of ITS implementation
The speed of highway construction often does not keep pace with the increasing load on the road network. Therefore, traffic optimization through the creation of ITS has long attracted engineers as an economical and efficient way to solve transport problems. Unfortunately, previously there was a lack of technologies that would make it possible to fully implement the optimal use of the UTS. Today the situation has changed.
Now we can make a more balanced decision on new construction and resort to it after we have calculated the maximum efficiency of road traffic.
The need for objective data on the traffic flow has matured so much that for their collection the Ministry of Transport of the Russian Federation is ready to put out one person for every 300 m of road every year . However, the quality of the information obtained in this way leaves much to be desired. With the help of ASMDD, which it is proposed to equip the UDS, the data can be obtained automatically continuously with an accuracy of 95%. To do this, it is quite acceptable to use the network of outdoor video surveillance cameras already available in many cities of Russia.
In order to manage any complex process, it is necessary to have sufficient information about it. Only by regularly collecting complete and reliable traffic data can we move on to the creation of ITS.
1. Order of the Ministry of Transport of the Russian Federation of 18.04.2019 No. 114 “On approval of the procedure for monitoring road traffic”.
2. Order of the Ministry of Transport of the Russian Federation of December 26, 2018 No. 479 “On approval of methodological recommendations for the development and implementation of measures for
organization of road traffic in terms of calculating the values of the main parameters of road traffic ”.
3. SP 34.13330.2012 “Highways”.
4. SP 396.1325800.2018 “Streets and roads of settlements. Urban planning rules “.
5. Federal law “On the organization of road traffic in the Russian Federation and on amendments to certain laws
Acts of the Russian Federation “dated December 29, 2017 No. 443-FZ.
(Source: Download in PDF)